JULY 9, 2017 -- JULY 20, 2017
On this top-quality tour, learn to make pasta, limoncello, and pizza ... taste wine from various regions ... see how fresh cheese is made ... view cooking demonstrations from world renowned chefs ... learn how to make gelato from an international award winning gelato maker ... and sightsee in comfort as we make our way through Southern Italy and Tuscany next October 2016.
DAY 1: FLIGHT TO NAPLES, ITALY
Board your overnight flight to Naples, Italy (not included).
DAY 2: WELCOME TO SORRENTO
Transfer from Naples airport to Sorrento. Check in to hotel. Freshen up, rest, and head out for an orientation walk with Mario around the beautiful seaside town of Sorrento. Let’s enjoy a Welcome dinner at a local mozzarella farm where Maria, the owner, will teach you the art of mozzarella making. View a pizza making demonstration and enjoy local wine and delicacies. You will sleep well tonight!
DAY 3: POSITANO AND THE AMALFI COAST
This morning after breakfast, you will travel along Italy’s finest coastline: the Amalfi Coast. Enjoy views of the terraced houses of Positano before visiting the heart of the town. Take time to have a drink on the beach and shop in the countless boutiques. Continue on the Amalfi Coast where you will also visit the town of Amalfi. Weather dependent, you will experience a boat cruise to admire the beautiful coastline of the peninsula of Sorrento. Dinner this evening will be at a local restaurant where you will learn to make pasta and limoncello. Experience Sorrento at leisure this evening.
DAY 4: POMPEII AND NAPLES
This morning, you will head to Pompeii, a city destroyed by the volcano, Mount Vesuvius, in 79 AD, for a guided tour through the ancient streets. After your tour of Pompeii, you will make your way toward the lively city of Naples, founded by the Greeks and the oldest city in Italy. Walk through a typical Neapolitan open-air market and taste fresh seafood fresh off the boat! Wander through Spaccanapoli, a very long, narrow street that leads to many of the most important sights in Naples. You will enjoy dinner in the hotel this evening.
DAY 5: FLORENCE
This morning, you will leave the coast of Naples and drive north towards Florence. On the way, you will stop at the Etruscan town of Orvieto in the region of Tuscany where you will view a cooking demonstration of local specialties and enjoy lunch. Continue on to Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance. Let’s dine in the hotel and rest up this evening.
DAY 6: FLORENCE
After breakfast, you will join a local guide for a tour of the Academy Gallery to see Michelangelo’s statue of David. Continue to Giotto’s bell tower next to the cathedral and see the ‘Gates of Paradise’ before visiting the Piazza della Signoria, to this day the political heart of Florence. Continue to Piazza Santa Croce, famous for its luxury shops and Basilica, where Michelangelo was laid to rest. Enjoy an afternoon at leisure. Dinner will be in a local restaurant.
DAY 7: FLORENCE AND TUSCAN COUNTRYSIDE
Today, meet a well-known family of winemakers/ chefs who will take you on an excursion to visit local markets. See how they choose their fresh produce to create regional delicacies and enjoy a cooking lesson! Experience lunch in a picturesque setting amongst the vineyards of Tuscany. Return to the hotel. Enjoy an afternoon and evening at leisure to shop, rest, and dine at the restaurant of your choice!
DAY 8: SAN GIMIGNANO
After breakfast, come with us for a wonderful day trip to Tuscany’s most famous hilltop town! San Gimignano, a picturesque medieval village, is known for its towers and its Vernaccia wine. Soak up the unique atmosphere of this ancient town and visit an ice cream shop made world famous by its unique flavors, made fresh from local herbs and fresh fruits. Allow Sergio, the owner and famous ice cream maker, to give you a demonstration on how he creates his renowned gelato. For lunch, let’s head to the countryside where you will experience a wine tasting while trying various local charcuterie and cheeses.
DAY 9: ROME—THE ETERNAL CITY
Today you will head to the eternal city of Rome where, on the way, we will stop at Tivoli and appreciate a guided tour of Villa d’Este and its famous gardens, known to house some of the most spectacular frescoes and gardens in the world. Listed as a UNESCO World heritage site, it exemplifies the magnificence of Renaissance architecture and Italian Renaissance gardens. Wander down the streets many paths and steps toward breathtaking panoramas while being refreshed by the garden’s hundreds of fountains. Continue on and check into your hotel in the Eternal City. This evening, we will eat in one of the most unique and famous squares in the city: Piazza Navona. Be inspired while you dine on local delicacies as opera singers sing you the Bel Canto.
DAY 10: ROME
In the morning, you will start off in the Vatican State, the richest community in the world. Here you will enter the Sistine Chapel and admire Michelangelo’s famous painted ceiling. Next door in St. Peter’s Basilica, see one of Michelangelo’s early works, the Pieta, and the dome completed after his death. Next, visit the Colosseum, the largest amphitheater ever built and considered one of the greatest works of engineering and architecture. Finally, look out over the site of the Roman Forum, for centuries the center of Roman public life. The afternoon is at leisure for you to rest or enjoy the city at your pace. Dinner will be in the hotel.
DAY 11: ROME AT LEISURE
The final day is a day for you to wander the streets of Rome. Do last minute shopping, enjoy a massage in the hotel, or take time to throw a coin in the Trevi fountain as it is said you will soon return to the beautiful city of Rome. Enjoy a Farewell dinner in a local restaurant.
Day 12: DEPARTURE
Sadly, you must bid farewell to La Bella Italia (until next time!). Transfer available to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
Included in the price your tour:
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- 8 dinners
- Full-time services of a professional Azzurro Dream Travel licensed Tour Director and local experts who will make the fascinating history, art, and culture of your destination come alive
- If group larger than 20, each person will be provided tour headphones for local guides
- Private motorcoach
- All group transportation (does not include optional activities or independent travel during the tour)
- All 4 star hotel accommodations from start date to end date of tour
- Entrance fees to the Vatican, Pompeii, Academy Gallery, Villa d'Este and gardens
- Cooking demonstrations and tastings as specified in the itinerary
- Optional single supplements — this tour has a limited number of private rooms for solo travelers for an additional fee
- Transfers from airport on start date of tour (choose from 2 different times)
- Transfers to airport on end date of tour (choose from 2 different times)
- A lot of fun meeting new people and experiencing a new culture!
Not included in the price of your tour:
- All airfares and air-related charges between your gateway city and your destination
- Additional fees charged by airlines such as checked and/or excess baggage, seat selections and any other services
- Cost of drinks
- Free time sightseeing
- Passport and visa fees
- Personal insurance coverage, including but not limited to health insurance, trip cancellation insurance, flight insurance, luggage insurance, etc.
- Tips/gratuities to Tour Directors, motorcoach drivers, and local guides
- Phone calls
- Internet access/ wi-fi
- Beverages and meals not detailed in the itinerary
- Optional experiences/ excursions
- Any and all items of a personal nature
- Additional taxes and surcharges may be collected by foreign governmental and non-governmental entities
- The price does not cover costs and expenses, including your return home, if you leave the tour whether at your own volition, due to illness, action by any government or other reason
PLEASE NOTE: This list is illustrative and not a complete list of every item included/ not included. For more information, please refer to the Terms and Conditions on the Azzurro Dream Travel website or contact us.